[linux-audio-dev] ProtTools 5.0.1 free

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] ProtTools 5.0.1 free
From: Frank Neumann (franky_AT_viona.de)
Date: Tue Nov 21 2000 - 14:53:20 EET

Hi folks,
with all this discussion about ProtTools-alike audio software, you might
be interested in this: The german "ct" magazine has a short article in its
current issue (24/2000, page 91) which says that DigiDesign has released
a feature-reduced version of ProTools 5.0.1 _for free_. The limitations
are basically
- max 48 MIDI tracks
- max 8 audio tracks
- cannot work together with Digidesign hardware
- maximum of 2 physical I/O channels (Mac: using SoundManager, Win: WaveDriver)

It's at http://www.digidesign.com/ptree (uhm..right now it says that
"Due to scheduled maintenance of our servers the following services will not
be available on Monday, November 20th, 2000: bla bla...". It's Tuesday
by now, so I believe they'll soon be "up" again).

Even if we are not going to work with that software, it might server as an
inspiration for some ambitious hacker.. :-)

Enjoy,
Frank

--
   Frank Neumann (franky_AT_viona.de), Software Engineer @ VIONA Development GmbH
       Karlstraße 27, 76133 Karlsruhe, Germany  - phone: +49 721 9134424