Re: [linux-audio-dev] more on LADSPA

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] more on LADSPA
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Nov 22 2000 - 16:01:05 EET

On Tue, Nov 21, 2000 at 05:22:35PM -0500, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> >This is why I propose not to use LADSPA when implementing
> >"applications-as-plugins". With all the bells and whistles an app
> >such your HDR requires, LADSPA will loose its simplictiy failing to
> >deliver its initial goal.
>
> well, perhaps. but again, you could do something like this within a
> VST-like framework, where the host provided certain callbacks for the
> plugin to use during instantiate(), activate(), and so on.

Yes, but a simpler approach would be to let the plugin hint at what
sample rate it wants (in the LADSPA_Descriptor?), it can always refuse to
instantiate or interpolate if the host ignores it.

This doesn't give the flexibility of being able to negotiate multiple
acceptable rates, but it does give (source) backward compatibility.

Which reminds me, is there any form of LADSPA version control? i.e. can
a host tell that my plugin was built for version 1.0?

I'm also not conviced that LADSPA is the best thing for anything that
sophisticated though.

- Steve