Re: [linux-audio-dev] more on LADSPA

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] more on LADSPA
From: Tom Pincince (stillone_AT_snowcrest.net)
Date: Wed Nov 22 2000 - 21:57:18 EET

>how do we propose to handle plugins that wish to operate at and only
>at a given sample rate ?
>
>the specific case i am thinking of here is an HDR plugin. suppose its
>editor has been used to set its recording rate to 44.1kHz, but the
>current audio interface rate is 48kHz.

I almost understand the question.

>this seems like quite a conundrum. the rate of the recording is a
>property of the recording, not the audio interface (i've learned of a
>mistake there with ardour).

This seems to be a hardware sync issue and the hdr plugin should simply
use whatever rate the hardware chooses. While it is true that the
recording rate is not the property of the audio interface, recordings
would be useless if the two rates don't match. When I record I tell the
soundcard to sync to the digital input signal from my external a/d, and
the app operates at whatever rate the soundcard uses. Why would the
editor select any recording rate other than the one that provides sync
with the audio interface?

Tom