[linux-audio-dev] more on LADSPA

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] more on LADSPA
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Tue Nov 21 2000 - 22:47:10 EET

how do we propose to handle plugins that wish to operate at and only
at a given sample rate ?

the specific case i am thinking of here is an HDR plugin. suppose its
editor has been used to set its recording rate to 44.1kHz, but the
current audio interface rate is 48kHz.

this seems like quite a conundrum. the rate of the recording is a
property of the recording, not the audio interface (i've learned of a
mistake there with ardour). but we surely can't be requiring that the
recording's data be continuously up-or-down sampled ?

if a plugin can't request a required sample rate of the host, then a
plugin cannot be used for recording without making the sample rate a
property of the host. this in turn creates an ugly user experience,
where all the properties of other digital recording media (ADAT, CD's,
DAT) etc. fly out the window, and a recording no longer can specify
its "rate", and using it in a host set to N kHZ has a different result
than in one at X kHZ.

does anyone think that this is really OK ? most plugins are not rate
dependent, so this is quite unusual :)

--p