Re: [linux-audio-dev] more on LADSPA

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] more on LADSPA
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Thu Nov 23 2000 - 17:15:23 EET

>>this seems like quite a conundrum. the rate of the recording is a
>>property of the recording, not the audio interface (i've learned of a
>>mistake there with ardour).
>
>This seems to be a hardware sync issue and the hdr plugin should simply
>use whatever rate the hardware chooses. While it is true that the
>recording rate is not the property of the audio interface, recordings
>would be useless if the two rates don't match. When I record I tell the
>soundcard to sync to the digital input signal from my external a/d, and
>the app operates at whatever rate the soundcard uses. Why would the
>editor select any recording rate other than the one that provides sync
>with the audio interface?

well, thats true. i'll have to think more about what happens if you
put a DAT recorded at 48kHz into a DAT player, and connect it via
S/PDIF to a digital mixer using its own clock to run at 44.1kHz.

in fact, this (sample rate mismatch) seems to be one of the central
problems at Rittenhouse Recording these days, even to the point where
the owner is thinking of moving to 44.1kHz for all recording, just to
be able to cut the crap out of CD mastering! i'm trying hard to
convince him not to do that ...

--p