Re: [linux-audio-dev] Homebrew control surfaces was (ardour,LDSPA... A marrage)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Homebrew control surfaces was (ardour,LDSPA... A marrage)
From: Richard A. Smith (rsmith_AT_bitworks.com)
Date: Wed Nov 22 2000 - 20:17:02 EET

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000 18:05:07 +0000, Steve Harris wrote:

>On Tue, Nov 21, 2000 at 12:48:29PM -0500, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:

>> with transport control plus global settings. So I'd say that aiming at
>> about 100 control elements would put you in a very usable space.
>
>I think a more minimal implementation would be useable, how about:
>
>per strip: slider plus solo, mute, pan and "active" toggles.
>plus a slection of assignable (rotary encoded) knobs which control the
>"active" strip.
>
>Or, for those people who can use knobs for gain control you could do the
>whole thing with colummns of rotary encoders.

I originally was thinking about what it would take to make everything some sort of encoder
rather than a pot but actually interfaceing to encoders is more complicated than to an
analog control because they don't preserve thier states. So you either have to have a
pretty fast uC to scan them all or some sort of counter for each one that you can read.

I think about this over the holidays and see if I can sketch some thing out.

--
Richard A. Smith                         Bitworks, Inc.
rsmith_AT_bitworks.com               501.846.5777