Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ardour] custom graphics + MIDI control for LADSPA plugins

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ardour] custom graphics + MIDI control for LADSPA plugins
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Wed Nov 22 2000 - 21:58:21 EET

On Wed, 22 Nov 2000, Steve Harris wrote:

> > >PS Is there any way to get Ardour running without ALSA?
> >
> > Nope. Absolutely no way. Nothing the OSS API is capable of dealing
>
> [On OSS's uselesness] agreed, but I actually meant without any audio i/o
> at all. I'l take that as a no ;)

Assume that this "virtual studio" model I proposed will go mainstream
one day.
At this point since it is the host that hosts the "ardour-plugin",
audio I/O would be managed entirely by the host so basically if the host
supports the OSS API, then ardour (as plugin) would work with that API too.

One of the issues to solve for this model is:
how do I abstract audio HW so that "plugins" (applications) can figure
out what kind of functionality the audio HW has and can set the desired
parameters ?

I've thought of using the ALSA API directly at least for figuring out HW
capabilities.
But on the other hand, this makes the virtual studio model completely dependent
of ALSA without having a way to easily exchange the audio backend API (ALSA in
this case).

Perhaps a more simple model (similar to ALSA which can be easily mapped to ALSA
calls) would be better ?
That way the virtual studio API could even run under OSS,
(and any other audio API)

thoughts ?

Benno.