Re: [linux-audio-dev] Remote control and gigging PCs

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Remote control and gigging PCs
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Nov 23 2000 - 13:49:29 EET

On Thu, Nov 23, 2000 at 05:20:39AM +0200, Kai Vehmanen wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Nov 2000, Steve Harris wrote:
>
> > I've been thinking about a minimal form of this, I intend it to run on a
> [...]
> > * Running at 115kbps or whatever the control machine can support. most
> > palmtops can't do MIDI directly.
>
> Ecasound might just be the right thing for building a minimal remotely
> controllable recording box. And best of all, doesn't require much work.
> Just build a Linux box, install ecasound and setup the audio drivers. Then
> either a) install a network card, or b) add a getty entry to inittab so
> you can login from serial port. Now you have a portable recording station
> that can be controlled by anything that has a serial port or network card.
> Using the serial port seems especially interesting (cheap!).

And a soundcard of course, not cheap. You really need at least 4 channels
to record gigs (2 straight from the desk, 2 from audience mics),
preferably more. Idealy digital input, if you have spare desk and a/d
converter channels.

I really hate the idea of giging a PC, but in the fairly near future I
don't think I will be stupid not to, handrolled plugins are great, and I
can write my own dream uber-arpeggiator...

\begin{pointlessRamblings}

My dream 'arpeggiator' would be used for playing back loop samples in time
and would allow me to switch between different block of loops remotely
(MIDI key events?), and control effects (via CC's and patch change).

I *think* that I could hack this together with what linux software
currently exists, and maybe with some perl MIDI shims in there.

Doing this all in a linux box, I could bus the samples out on an ADAT
cable (with LADSPA effects), and, and...

Well, you get the idea. The only major obstacle is hardening a PC enough
that it would survive a gig.

Does anyone have experience of the PC cases scan is selling in the UK?
The're only 175 quid ($300), which seems a bit cheap, but the alternative
is the, allegedly 1U, 500 quid ($850) collermaster job.

Red Submarine also do two, a 4U and a 5U for 260 quid and 380 quid.

http://www.scan.co.uk/ and
http://www.sub.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Cases_4.html

- Steve