Re: [linux-audio-dev] Remote control and gigging PCs

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Remote control and gigging PCs
From: Jay Ts (jay_AT_toltec.metran.cx)
Date: Thu Nov 23 2000 - 18:04:08 EET

Steve Harris wrote:
> The only major obstacle is hardening a PC enough
> that it would survive a gig.

I've been thinking about this some too, because obviously
someday not too far off, lots of musicians are going to want
to do it, including perhaps myself.

Already, major acts are touring with PCs and Macs that are used
to control lighting and other things through MIDI. I'm amazed
that they will rely on a Mac for a bigtime national tour, but then
what else are they going to do? (Of course, they take a spare for
backup.)

If it were me, I'd buy a good rackmount case, which are expensive.
Then I'd check the hard drive manufacturers' product specs carefully,
to see which of them advertises the highest G rating that the product
can survive during shipping.

The most important part would be a good rackmount case, not just the
average type, but one of those that have internal shock absorbers.

(This time when I say "rack case", I'm referring to what your
computer's "rack case" would screw into, that contains the 19" equipment
rack and durable shell. Argh ... I don't know how else to refer to
these things!)

I just checked one of my catalogs (American Musical Supply) and SKB makes
cases like this. A 4-space ATA-approved case is listed at about $330.
(Theoretically, you could transport one of these by air, but I'm sure
I'd try to make it carry-on if possible, and would at least remove the
hard drive(s) before trusting it to the airline gorillas.) Combine that
with the price of the "internal" rack case (the part with the mounting ears),
and you will probably be spending more for the cases than the other
computer parts combined.

> Does anyone have experience of the PC cases scan is selling in the UK?
> The're only 175 quid ($300), which seems a bit cheap,

I don't know about those, but I'll suggest that if you get the expensive
shock mount (external) rack case, the quality of the (internal) rack case
for the computer isn't so critical. Just make sure you'll have space in
it for your drives and expansion slots.

One thing to be careful of is the noise generated by the rack case's
power supply fan. Yes, you need the case to keep cool, but a friend
of mine got a rackmount computer case, and now he complains how noisy
the fan is. It seems to be "industrial strength", and although it's
very good at keeping the case cool, it's also operating at a pretty
high dB level.

- Jay Ts