Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ardour] custom graphics + MIDI control for LADSPA plugins

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ardour] custom graphics + MIDI control for LADSPA plugins
From: Paul Sladen (paul_AT_sladen.org)
Date: Sat Nov 25 2000 - 14:50:38 EET

On Fri, 24 Nov 2000, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:

> >For example plugins could request a certain datatype (let's say
> >arour's HDR engine want 24bit integer samples) Other plugins would
> >prefer to work in the float domain. Other plugs want to work with
> >16bit samples. In this case the host would make more datatypes
> >available for plugins, than the soundcard is capable of. (by doing
> >conversions).
>
> As far as I am concerned, this is a broken model. Plugins should use
> ONE standard data type.
>
> Yes, I think we should take the high road
> some day and support non-linear-amplitude data streams the way that
> CSound does (spectral data etc.). We'd be a big step ahead of VST if
> we could do that.

Hum, I'd quite like to be able to feed in an MP3 in/out of a plugin,
although *far* more importantly is to be able to take a block of
frequency-domain audio.... just think about this, feeding it from a
pitch-shifter to a time-stretcher, both of which can input/ouput
(possibley as their default format) a freq-domain stream... hey, but
haven't we just saved two FFT operations -- ok, bad example, because I'd
had grand ideas of the simple call:

  ciSampleSpeed( {speed relative to 1.0}, {pitch shift relative to 1.0} );

which I was going to plug the higher-3d postional API directly into.

think MP3 decompress -> {as Freq} Pitch-shifter -> {as Freq} inFFT -> {as
time-based audio} linear player.

Paul

--
e: paul_AT_sladen.org   t: 0115 922 7162