[linux-audio-dev] Re: proposed initial DTD for LADSPA-gui-xml .. licensing issues ...

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: proposed initial DTD for LADSPA-gui-xml .. licensing issues ...
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Sun Nov 26 2000 - 16:34:19 EET

This looks very good.

I have some questions about the licensing issues of this XML ebackend:

IMHO you would need to make it LGPL (perhaps it already is ?) in order
to make it usable by both opensource apps and commercial, closed source
apps.

As for Qt: a backend written in this language would not be suitable for
commercial audio apps, since Qt's GPL forbids that any "libs"
(in this case the ladspa-gui engine) basing on Qt, must be GPL too, thus
closed source apps are not allowed to use them.

I made some stuff with Qt, but I'm thinking of switching to gtk,gtk-- exectly
for these licensing questions. (even if Qt is probably the more elegant and
technically superiour toolkit)
It's just too messy to deal with. (we are technology guys not lawyers :-) )

Some recommendations about learning gtk/gtk-- ?
better to start with gtk and then learn gtk-- or is it possible to start
directly using gtk-- (without knowledge of gtk) ?

Can't wait for the day where our screens will be full of fancy sliders, knobs,
switched and displays :-)

cheers,
Benno.

On Sat, 25 Nov 2000, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> Below is my first pass at an XML DTD for a LADSPA plugin
> toolkit-neutral GUI specification. After it is a small example of what
> a plugin GUI specification might look like.

( ... )