[linux-audio-dev] Re: proposed initial DTD for LADSPA-gui-xml .. licensing issues ...

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: proposed initial DTD for LADSPA-gui-xml .. licensing issues ...
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Sun Nov 26 2000 - 15:58:28 EET

>IMHO you would need to make it LGPL (perhaps it already is ?) in order
>to make it usable by both opensource apps and commercial, closed source
>apps.

I don't release code under the LGPL. I don't *want* my code used by
closed source applications. End of story.

If someone is writing a close source application, they'll have to
write their own backend or use someone's else's non-GPL one. Please
note that the backend should not be considered a standard. The
standard here is the XML DTD. Writing a backend for it is a day's work
for an experienced GUI programmer who has the widgets available.

>Some recommendations about learning gtk/gtk-- ?
>better to start with gtk and then learn gtk-- or is it possible to start
>directly using gtk-- (without knowledge of gtk) ?

i started directly with Gtk--, which is generally feels much cleaner
to me than GTK+. a lot of that is because i am a committed C++
programmer, and i have a hard time swallowing endless constructions of
the form:

    gtk_widget_do_something (widget, ...)

when i could write:

     widget->do_something (...)

However, the documentation on Gtk-- is not anywhere as complete the
GTK+ documentation, so I often find myself working in Gtk-- as the
toolkit with the GTK+ docs as the guide.

There are two good books on GTK+, both of them online at
gtk.org. Havoc Pennington's book is a little better in some specific
regards, but is aimed at developers planning on going all the way to
GNOME. Harlow's book isn't as clear about the things Havoc is clear
on, but his focus doesn't include GNOME, which is a benefit if you're
starting out.

As ever, source code is often the best guide, and all of my apps
generally contain some fairly complex examples of GUI stuff that can
act as useful guides, as well as serving as potential improvement
points when other people think about how best to do stuff.

>Can't wait for the day where our screens will be full of fancy sliders, knobs,
>switched and displays :-)

Stop by anytime. You don't have to wait :)

--p