Re: [linux-audio-dev] proposed initial DTD for LADSPA-gui-xml

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] proposed initial DTD for LADSPA-gui-xml
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 19:50:17 EET

On Mon, Nov 27, 2000 at 11:16:24AM -0500, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> >How about fg_pixmap, or some way of displaying values more meaningful
> >than the float value, otherwise I'm stuck with dB input values (which
> >seem unpopular).
>
> Well, I happen to like your use of dB values. Its much easier on
> everyone except you :)

It's fine for me, but it's hard for the host to do anything meaningful, if
I understand the argument in favour of linear coeffients correctly.

I'll keep doing it that way until told of a better way anyway.

> >I guess I could use vaue_displays, but yuk. Alternativly I could do it
> >with active areas control (see later).
>
> why yuk ?

Well, it means an extra control output, doesn't it? Or can I bind a
slider and a value-display to an input control? If so, Yay!

> >If you specify type="image" wouldn't it be neccesary to specify the
> >active area you can move? eg. for a pixmap slider? The 'slider' can't
> >move right to the top of the pixmap, if I understand how this works.
>
> OK, you need to know how the object in my implementation
> works. "images" is a regular expression that describes a set of
> pixmaps. these are loaded (once; the backend keeps refcnts), and then

That was what I understood happened (from looking at Quasimodo), but I
still think there is a problem: (bad ascii art coming up)

Imagine 17 pixmaps with the slider in each position.

00 -------- --------
01 | | | |
02 |######|__ | |
03 |######||\ | |
04 |======| | |
05 |######| | |
06 |######| | |
07 | | | |
08 | | | |
09 | | | |
10 | | | |
11 | | | |
12 | | | |
13 | | | |
14 | | | |
15 | | | |
16 | | |######|
17 | | |######|
18 | | |======|
19 | | |######|

Mouse pointer is Mouse pointer is
3 pixels down, right at bottom is pixmap,
looks likes its looks like its way below
just obove the the slider.
slider.

But hey, you've allready implemented this, so you'd know if it was a
problem. I think I'l shut up now ;)

- Steve