Re: [linux-audio-dev] Slider

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Slider
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Tue Nov 28 2000 - 21:19:25 EET

>thinking about making a slider that matches the slider on my Mackie CFX12
>mixer. I would specify an alphaed pixmap of the slider and a point
                            ^^^^^^^
                            transparent, not alphaed. X has no support
                            for this.

>I guess my only question about sliders is why would you use a pixmap for
>each position? This seems very hard coded to me. I mean its not a
>question of server resources as far as I am concerned but usability. I am

it provides a completely uniform way of handling *any* kind of
controller that provides visual feedback based on a value change. with
the proposed use of a couple of different elements, you have a
completely slider-specific mechanism. knobs would be done differently,
as would some other kinds of "visual value indicators". i don't claim
its a fantastically accurate or visually optimal method, but the
set-of-pixmaps approach allows the exact same code to be used for any
kind of object like this. the graphics person just supplies the
pixmaps, and we are good to go.

i'm not against a slider-specific implementation, especially since one
already appears to exist in GDAM, but this is my reason for doing
things in a unified way.

--p