[linux-audio-dev] Slider

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Slider
From: Richard C. Burnett (burnett_AT_tality.com)
Date: Tue Nov 28 2000 - 20:42:47 EET

I guess my only question about sliders is why would you use a pixmap for
each position? This seems very hard coded to me. I mean its not a
question of server resources as far as I am concerned but usability. I am
thinking about making a slider that matches the slider on my Mackie CFX12
mixer. I would specify an alphaed pixmap of the slider and a point
concidered to be the 'zero' line of the slider. I would then specify a
top and bottom cap, a center area to be tiled and an a tick mark for the
sides. Then I would put in some formatting abilities to add numbers, make
it non-linear etc. I agree that you cannot get exact float representation
with a slider, but there are different sliders for different types of
situations. Its nice to make a 'generic' slider that could be configured
for many different situations. Then I would just paint the slider. In
other environments I would just have two image buffers and build the
slider in whatever one is not showing then repaint it to the screen. In
this situation all you are doing is swapping pointers so you are not
rebuilding the image when the widget is not being changed ( ie drawing
requests ) I also intend on building in a type in control for setting
exact values as a slider cannot do this for 32 bit numbers :)

I have started some code with gtk, although I seem to have a little more
difficulty with gtk than gtk--. If I get a nice working version done, if
there is someone who can wrap it with gtk-- that would be great. Also,
the code could use some optimization.

Rick

| T a l i t y | +------+ |
| Richard Burnett | +-+ | |