Re: [linux-audio-dev] laptop sound

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] laptop sound
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Tue Nov 28 2000 - 16:31:38 EET

On Mon, 27 Nov 2000, Paul Winkler wrote:

> I don't know of any laptops with built-in sound that's any good (there
> may be some, I just don't know).

Well, my Toshiba Satellite's sound support is based on a CS4281 chip, and
is actually quite nice (for a laptop that is). And works nicely under
Linux. I use the OSS/Linux driver at the moment, but support has recently
been added to both ALSA and OSS/free. From time to time, I take the laptop
to our project studio and plug the phones-out to the mixer. Far from
perfect, but works. But for any serious work, the d/a-a/d conversion has
to be done outside the laptop.

 . http://www.eca.cx/aivastus ... [ aivastus net radio ] /\ .