Re: [linux-audio-dev] gain curves, interpolation, etc.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] gain curves, interpolation, etc.
From: Richard C. Burnett (burnett_AT_tality.com)
Date: Wed Nov 29 2000 - 20:18:13 EET

So if macromedia does it with curves then do it with lines. I would like
to see this patent, I just don't understand how you can patent something
like that. But if you do it line based ( as samplitude does ) and they
don't mention any patents in their literature which they would have to,
then in the actual code you could 'fit a curve/interpolate' between the
points of the line. True its not as good as seeing it as curves, but its
leaving a great function in. I use this all the time. Then at the points
you could pick some sort of dampning factor that determines how the curve
is done, or just have a default.

Also you could do it over the actual wave as samplitude does, or with a
window right below it. Looking at the patent will indicate I hope which
method they use and you can pick the other way.

Just my thoughts :)

Rick

| T a l i t y | +------+ |
| Richard Burnett | +-+ | |