Re: Packaging LADSPA (was Re: [linux-audio-dev] again: debian tasks for audio needs)

Subject: Re: Packaging LADSPA (was Re: [linux-audio-dev] again: debian tasks for audio needs)
From: Junichi Uekawa (dancer_AT_netfort.gr.jp)
Date: Mon Oct 02 2000 - 16:02:38 EEST

In Mon, 2 Oct 2000 23:04:49 +1100, de profundis Conrad Parker <conradp_AT_cse.unsw.edu.au> cum veritate scripsit

conradp> LADSPA itself just defines an API, to which plugins (like the
conradp> CMT) and apps conform. ladspa-dev would basically consist of putting
conradp> ladspa.h in /usr/include, and installing the development
conradp> documentation.

Yes, and I guess ladspa-dev package, or libladspa-dev package would
be including this ladspa.h file. I'd keep cmt and ladspa separate to
keep things simple, because things get overly complexed when multiple
source archives represent one debian package.

conradp> There are some binaries which come with the LADSPA SDK for
conradp> manipulating plugins. Unfortunately these have very generic names
conradp> (analyseplugin, applyplugin, listplugins) so I'm not sure if the
conradp> intention is to install them by default, or just have them available
conradp> for developers. These are about all that could be installed as the
conradp> "ladspa" package.

They should probably go into /usr/lib/ladspa/bin/* and provide
alternatives, or if those programs do not exist already in Debian,
then we could just dump it in /usr/bin. Or put them under more
specific names as symlinks.

conradp> The LADSPA SDK and the CMT makefiles install plugins into
conradp> /usr/local/lib/ladspa. The correct place for [a distribution] to
conradp> install these would be /usr/lib/ladspa.

It should do. Just that it has to have been agreed upon by the
maintainers of respective packages which utilize ladspa.

We could do with a version number 0.0.2000{fill in your date here} as the
policy suggests for packages that have no apparent version.

For plugin versions. Yes, I think it is a good idea to have it like this:

conradp> /usr/lib/ladspa/plugin.so.1

It is best not to assume that ladspa stays forever at version 1.

regards,
        junichi

--
University: ti0113_AT_mail4.doshisha.ac.jp    Netfort: dancer_AT_netfort.gr.jp
dancer, a.k.a. Junichi Uekawa   http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer