Re: Packaging LADSPA (was Re: [linux-audio-dev] again: debian tasks for audio needs)

Subject: Re: Packaging LADSPA (was Re: [linux-audio-dev] again: debian tasks for audio needs)
From: Conrad Parker (conradp_AT_cse.unsw.EDU.AU)
Date: Mon Oct 02 2000 - 17:11:57 EEST

On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 10:02:38PM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:

> Yes, and I guess ladspa-dev package, or libladspa-dev package would
> be including this ladspa.h file. I'd keep cmt and ladspa separate to
> keep things simple, because things get overly complexed when multiple
> source archives represent one debian package.

yes, they are separate things. CMT is just one set of plugins
supporting the ladspa api (it just happens that it's big, and kicks
arse ;) -- there are others tho, so it's possible to have ladspa-dev,
and ladspa plugins, without having the CMT.

> conradp> The LADSPA SDK and the CMT makefiles install plugins into
> conradp> /usr/local/lib/ladspa. The correct place for [a distribution] to
> conradp> install these would be /usr/lib/ladspa.
>
> It should do. Just that it has to have been agreed upon by the
> maintainers of respective packages which utilize ladspa.

The prevailing convention (suggested by the LADSPA SDK example code)
is to load plugins from directories specified in the LADSPA_PATH
environment variable (colon separated). Is it a debian thing to put
default environment variables into /etc/profile or similar?

For example, my app (sweep) does this, and falls back to
"/usr/lib/ladspa:/usr/local/lib/ladspa:/opt/ladspa/lib" if
LADSPA_PATH is not defined.

Perhaps people might also want to put plugins in $HOME/.ladspa/lib,
is it appropriate to put this in users' default LADSPA_PATH?

Conrad.