Re: [linux-audio-dev] opinion sought re: cdda2wav & cdrecord

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] opinion sought re: cdda2wav & cdrecord
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Tue Oct 03 2000 - 23:25:48 EEST

>Well for ripping there is libparanoia and a lot of the cdrecord stuff is handl
>ed by
>libschilly.

my impression is that the current version of cdda2wav that comes with
cdrecord 1.9 includes all of libparanoia already. but several people
have suggested i should look into this, and i will.

BTW, i think libschilly called "libscg" now. If you take a look at the
code for cdrecord, it becomes clear that although that libscg provides
the underlying __mechanism__ for interaction with the devices, there
is a ton of code in cdrecord that handles the __logic__ of interacting
with the devices, and that the two of them are very
different. cdrecord has all kinds of stuff to handle drives that don't
completely follow specifications, for example.

>You should check out 'cdrdao' Which uses both of those libraries and does bot
>h reading and
>writeing audio data to a CD all in one package.

cdrdao is a cool program (i have it), but its fundamentally based on 2
premises that are not true here:

         1) the disc is recorded in Disc-At-Once mode
         2) the audio data is already available

DAO is a very different way of recording audio, and its not applicable
to a real-time recorder that may record one track, then erase it, then
record two more, then add a third, and then finalize.

at least, thats my understanding from working on this project so
far. it could be very wrong :)

--p