Re: [linux-audio-dev] opinion sought re: cdda2wav & cdrecord

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] opinion sought re: cdda2wav & cdrecord
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Wed Oct 04 2000 - 15:24:55 EEST

>Ahhh.. I didn't realize that your app was able to record, AND edit. I thought
> you were just
>continually streaming info to the disk for later editing.

well, i am. the "editing" is just standard "erase last track", "erase
session" type stuff. but even without this, DAO mode doesn't work
unless you have the track indices before hand, which will never be the
case with a real-time recorder.

>You might also take a look at how the latest X-CD-Roast talks to
>cdrecord. I know that Jorg mentioned on the cd list that he added
>some stuff for X-CD-Roast to control cd record easier but I don't
>remember what it was.

i think that all he did was to add some code that makes its output
slightly easier to parse. the problem, as it turns out, is not
controlling cdrecord. its that certain h/w doesn't like the
combination of operations that my code needs to do to get started,
followed by the operations that cdrecord does to get started. my
yamaha cd-rw will routinely cause a scsi bus reset if i do certain
operations in a certain order.

Jorg has already figured all this, and its clear that "my code" needs
to do what "his code" does to get the CD device setup. since i am not
running cdrecord until we start recording, that can't happen without
some significant cut-and-paste operations on the source. if i am going
to have to merge his "startup" code, why not go the whole way and just
link cdrecord into my app, rather than fork it ?

--p