Re: [linux-audio-dev] float a/d (was Linux support for IEEE1394 mLAN?)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] float a/d (was Linux support for IEEE1394 mLAN?)
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Wed Oct 04 2000 - 21:17:36 EEST

In message <39DB700F.4AFE9D5B_AT_jlaako.pp.fi>you write:
>Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
>>
>> >signal processing is memory bandwidth. It's the major limiting factor.
>> for off-line processing, this might be an issue. however, for
>> real-time applications, its not the critical limitation. and from my
>> perspective, real-time work is by far the more interesting area.
>
>I think just the opposite. When you are processing off-line you have almost
>unlimited amout of time available, which is not the case for realtime
>processing.

it just reflects our different styles of working with sound. i like
working with real-time "processes", creating, responding to,
reinventing, reshaping sounds in real-time as i work. i spend very
little time doing off-line processing, and i am glad about that. but
your mileage may vary if you work with sound in a different way.

i just wanted to point out that for a lot of people, off-line work
isn't how they work, and for them, memory bandwidth is more or less
irrelevant. memory speed does have some relevance, though, even for
this kind of stuff (its more of a limitation than CPU speed, often).

--p