[linux-audio-dev] Re: [CUD] Fixed source tarballs

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [CUD] Fixed source tarballs
From: Maurizio Umberto Puxeddu (umbpux_AT_tin.it)
Date: Sun Oct 15 2000 - 12:29:24 EEST

Nicola Bernardini wrote:

> Yesterday, Maurizio Umberto Puxeddu schrieb:
>
> > I updated the Unofficial Csound tarball available at
> >
> > http://web.tiscalinet.it/mupuxeddu/csound
>
> thanks Maurizio - really solid work!
>
> > Even if probably Nicola has stated this over and over, I just noticed
> > right now that the content of the source tarball build by his Makefile
> > is influenced by the configure's command line options. Thanks to Stephen
> > Swaney.
>
> ho hum. No - it *should'nt* be so: binaries are influenced by the
> configure options, but sources should be always the same. Was there
> a problem with *sources*?

Each time there is a CVS update I checkout Csound, build it with my
preferred options:
ALSA, OSC, X, suid, shared link, install the binary in my system and
finally go on with the packages to be uploaded to tiscalinet.it. Then
write a mail to csound-unix-dev.
Since these days I'm using Csound on several machines, yesterday I also
downloaded the source tarball back from tiscalinet.it on and installed
it. So I was sure it did its job: for me.
Few hours later Stephen Swaney wrote me that the source tarball missed
rtlinux.c.
In fact there was a rtlinux.c file in the CVS directory but not in the
tarball. I remade the tarball without reconfiguring the tree: nothing.
I deleted config.status (yes, I know...) and entered

./configure
make src-tarball

and this time there was a copy of rtlinux.c.
The resulting srcball has been uploaded.

Since I have no time to check configure.in and the makefiles, I can't
explain what's happened.
I described my action in detail so that you can possibly guess what went
wrong.

Maurizio Umberto Puxeddu