[linux-audio-dev] Re: Controlling ardour via serial

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Controlling ardour via serial
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Oct 17 2000 - 20:47:29 EEST

On Tue, Oct 17, 2000 at 01:42:21PM -0400, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> there is no theoretical difficulty in getting it to work without X. if
> i've learnt enough lessons from Quasimodo and Softwerk, it should just
> be a case of writing a new UI class that does almost nothing (though
> it would take care of your metering idea), changing the makefile
> around, and recompiling.

Presumably the ui class would do the serial talking? The word class makes
me nervous though, I've never done any c++, and I don't plan to.

The other option would be to write a new MIDI driver for Ardour I guess,
would need some exotic things in it, and I don't fancy writing an ALSA
"MIDI" device that runs at 115k.

> of course, things rarely turn out to be that easy, but thats
> definitely the theory of how it should work. from a quick search
> through the source code, it would seem to be true that there is no
> communication (in the form of code dependence - ie. function calls or
> variable use) between any of the core engine files and the UI stuff.

That's going to make it easier.

> OTOH, just as with "server-quasimodo", you'd have to implement some
> kind of command-line language to be able to initiate those things that
> you can only use the GUI for right now (e.g. loading a tape
> primarily). MMC would do the rest. Oh, and CPU usage would drop
> noticeably as well. The meters and the clock consume quite a chunk of
> time (which is why there are buttons to turn them off.

I was thinking of doing that sort of thing with sysex, I guess that the
"tapes" are just directories? In which case I can just export a list of
tapes to the palmtop, and you can pick them from a menu.

IIRC MMC doesn't have any way of expressing meter values, does it?
I though CC's for those, and pitch whell for varispeed (if Ardour has
it). Don't use varispeed myself, so I'm not particularly bother either
way.

- Steve

--
Stephen Harris
MALIBU Technical Officer & JoDI Webmaster