RE: [linux-audio-dev] EDL's ... in process

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] EDL's ... in process
From: MOULET Xavier FTRD/DMR/ISS (xavier.moulet_AT_rd.francetelecom.fr)
Date: Thu Oct 19 2000 - 10:43:37 EEST

> One area that I am currently uncertain about what
> operations the model should support. The original C++ one also
> included

I think I did not grasp the finality of EDL first. In fact, with EDL
everything is computed when you play the song (ie on the fly) and so I
understand the need not to pressure too much the CPU with complicated
operations. I intend, as I said, to make it compute offline and let it play
by another program (sox, ardour, ...)

So I understand that my point is efficiency of complicated (read : slow)
algorithms (say: high level optimization), as your model tend to use EDL
just to "real time cut, paste & loop" of BIG and NUMEROUS channels which
have to be played realtime (I clearly do not make any statements about which
is harder to assume ..). I think my prog (gloop (that's its name)) can NOW
read 24 channels and mix them in a reliable way. but ... maybe not in
realtime.

> Your python stuff looks very cool, but as you say, its not really
> intended for the same kind of thing. I need to be able to use this
> system to play back 24+ channels of audio in real time :)

Thanks, I am wondering : do realtime tweaking of parameters reeally is a
must for you and other people on this list ? Would you bear it if we could
have a "fast" preview and a completely undestructive synth / wave editor or
is it unacceptable ? Is that king of project yet another XYZ or could it be
useful for any one of you ?

> The libgtkwaveform library contains the GtkWaveView sound sample
> display widget and its corresponding data source objects. The
> GtkWaveform framework provides a robust caching display interface
> using the MVC (or Model-View-Controller) paradigm.

Looks cool. But , as you said before in this list, yet another library to
follow development of, take care of building, following API changes,
including in a release ... But really useful for a bunch of us audio
developers.