Re: [linux-audio-dev] Ardour : features page

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Ardour : features page
From: Conrad Parker (conradp_AT_cse.unsw.EDU.AU)
Date: Fri Oct 27 2000 - 01:39:27 EEST

On Mon, Oct 16, 2000 at 09:43:06AM -0400, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:

> BTW, the biggest obstacle to a 1.0.0pre release of ardour right now is
> figuring out how to include some of my libraries in the release. The
> fundamental problem is that these libraries have a heirarchy of
> dependencies, and getting them built and "installed", so that each
> later library can "depend" on the former ones is something that I have
> not yet figured out how to do. It seems impossible with autoconf. If

The job of autoconf is to write the Makefiles (and config.h etc)
based on the system configuration -- eg. this system uses this sound
device, has this version of gtk+, and so on.

For the libraries within your package, you *know* that they're
there, and what versions they are. The job of dependencies (to
ensure their built in the right order) is a job for the Makefiles
only.

If a target in a Makefile depends on an ardour library, give the
relative path to where the library should be built as a dependency.
If you're using libtool to build the libraries, you'll need to
depend on eg. ../.libs/libfoo.a not ../libs/libfoo.a.

At least, that's how I understand to do this the way that automake
generated Makefiles operate -- people expect one pass for 'make' and
one for 'make install'. You could put extra steps in between in the
toplevel Makefile ('make libs' / 'make install-libs' or something)
but it's probably not necessary.

Conrad.