Re: [linux-audio-dev] Ardour : features page

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Ardour : features page
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Mon Oct 16 2000 - 16:43:06 EEST

>There are many situations where multichannel recorders are used this
>way, if the recorder is an edl based daw. ADAT's and hd equivalents
>can't be used this way at all. If ardour, in its current form, is
>primarily an adat replacement then do a feature freeze and look at this
>after you have reached 1.0. A 24 track adat replacement using a general
>purpose computer and linux is a worthy goal in itself and I would rather
>see it reach 1.0 asap.

Yes, this is precisely my current goal. Once its function as an ADAT
replacement is done, or at least reliably operational, I will start
considering the next steps. But the next step will be editing, and
that will take some time to get right.

Thanks though, for the contextual explanation, and also for grasping
my current goals.

[ -==== different topic =====- ]

BTW, the biggest obstacle to a 1.0.0pre release of ardour right now is
figuring out how to include some of my libraries in the release. The
fundamental problem is that these libraries have a heirarchy of
dependencies, and getting them built and "installed", so that each
later library can "depend" on the former ones is something that I have
not yet figured out how to do. It seems impossible with autoconf. If
anyone has any good insights, drop me a line. Keep in mind that the
idea is to *avoid* really installing the libraries until a user does
"make install" for ardour itself. Before then, they need to be
installed in an ardour-src-subdir. Don't forget the header files too.

--p