Re: [OT][linux-audio-dev] Ardour : features page

Subject: Re: [OT][linux-audio-dev] Ardour : features page
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Mon Oct 16 2000 - 16:38:22 EEST

[ As a general aside, I would personally prefer it if this list
  was set "Reply-To-List-Only", and if all members could try to
  ensure that they reply only to the list unless there is a specific
  reason to include an individual's address on a Cc: line. Just my
  US$0.02 ]

>Paul said that dynamic looping is not possible/hard to do because we stream
>from harddisk and need to pre-buffer several hundred msecs (or secs) of data.

> and the HDR app will IMMEDIATELY jump to the first loop point without any
> clicks since it is cached in RAM and there is plenty time left to stream the
> subsequent data.

Notice that I said it was "hard". Whats hard is that you are now using
two different internal data sources for audio output: the internal
start-of-loop cache, and the regular streaming data flow. "Hard" for
me doesn't mean "can't be done", it means "messes up a nice, clean s/w
design with ugly details that can easily go wrong in a real world
application".

Building a stomp-box thing that worked like a Jamman is really
extremely easy (I wrote 80% of one just using Quasimodo). Doing this
inside a multichannel HDR system is quite a bit harder. Doing this in
a system where the data stream comes from an EDL is probably an order
of magnitude harder still. Perhaps, anyway.

--p