Re: [OT][linux-audio-dev] Ardour : features page

Subject: Re: [OT][linux-audio-dev] Ardour : features page
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Mon Oct 16 2000 - 13:36:28 EEST

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Tom Pincince wrote:

> I think you are right. I remember seing him stomp a pedal, lay down an
> awesome groove, and stomp the pedal again. The groove was perfectly
> looped. He danced for a moment then began to solo over the loop. Since
> it was a video that I only saw a small part of, I have no idea of the
> date of the performance. I don't even remember when or where I saw it.
> I only remember being blown away by the virtuosity and thinking that I
> would like to have one of those looping things.

just a technical note:

Paul said that dynamic looping is not possible/hard to do because we stream
from harddisk and need to pre-buffer several hundred msecs (or secs) of data.

I agree that arbitrary movement of the loop points like in RAM based samplers
is not possible with a HDR app, but on the other hand the
pedal stomping stuff is perfectly possible:

- you press the pedal and set the start of the loop point
  at this point the app stores 0.5-1sec of audio in RAM (starting from this
point)

- as soon as you press the pedal again, the end loop point is set,
  and the HDR app will IMMEDIATELY jump to the first loop point without any
  clicks since it is cached in RAM and there is plenty time left to stream the
  subsequent data.

If the looplen is at least 1-2secs, then it is not hard to implement the
feature you described, at least from a technical POV.

Benno.