Re: [linux-audio-dev] Off topic - QNX

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Off topic - QNX
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Fri Sep 01 2000 - 12:25:07 EEST

I agree that QNX is an excellent realtime platform, but the usual problems
will be the userbase.
BeOS is an excellent low-latency OS too, but as we noticed
both Steinberg and Emagic dropped their porting efforts of their flagship
products ( Nuendo, Cubase, Logic Audio), because of the too little marketshare,
and in the case that the OS company goes out of business, they are basically
screwed.
QNX is IMHO in the same situation.
But as Linus said on linux-kernel, multimedia do not need microsecond latencies,
they need millisecond latencies, and this can be easily be achieved by non
RTOSes because on these 400-1000Mhz CPUs.
Plus do not forget the developerbase: can QNX count an enthusiastic audio
developer base like here on linux-audio-dev.
There seems to be a reason why we are sticking with linux.
:-)

cheers,
Benno.