[linux-audio-dev] Re: a multitrack question

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: a multitrack question
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Tue Sep 05 2000 - 20:25:41 EEST

Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:

> i got the multitrack-2.2 package you prepared, but it would bail out
> immediately. i was able to find out several library dependancy (is
> that the correct word ??) problems which i hoped to work around with
> some extra symbolic links, but no success.

Make sure that your .multitrack/prefs file ends with something like
this:

  #=========================================================
  # Audio buffers section
  #=========================================================

  o_nr_buffers = 10
  i_nr_buffers = 10

The default is set to 0 and MT will immediately segfault unless you set
the buffers to some figure > 0.

Btw, I'm currently unable to run it because the binary wants SVGA libs
compiled under libc5. Do you happen to have libvga.so.1 and
libvgagl.so.1 in libc5 versions ? I'd like to obtain them again.

> to my further discouragement, i saw that suse had taken it out of
> their distro since 6.1 :(, so obviously even they weren't able to
> get it running. (or are there license pitfalls i'm unaware of ?)

The licensing is messed up. My last correspondence with Boris took place
more than a year ago, and at that time he indicated that he intended to
place the binary and sources under the GPL. Then he completely
disappeared. I've had no luck contacting him since then. I don't even
know if he's still wearing the mortal coil.

> is you or anybody else sucessfully running multitrack with a 2.2 or
> 2.4 kernel and the latest alsa drivers (w/ oss-emu, of course) ?

Well, if I can get the libvga stuff it should run fine.

> are there any hopes that boris nagels will be rising from the dead
> soon ?

We can only pray... ;)

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips