[linux-audio-dev] Multitrack code questions (and the Mortal Coil defined)

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Multitrack code questions (and the Mortal Coil defined)
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Wed Sep 06 2000 - 16:19:13 EEST

Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:

> i have always prefered to run multitrack -x, but it wants libc5
> (even without svgalib). i tried to fool it into believing glibc was
> libc5 with a couple of symbolic links, but no luck. i'll install
> suse's libc5 compatibility packages tomorrow and see how it'll turn
> out.

Well, I have the libc5 stuff in my path and MT sees it just fine. But it
still complains about the missing libvga and libvgagl even when I try
running it in X.

> (as an aside: what does this pun "mortal coil" mean exactly
> ? i got the gist, but i'd just like to know :)

It's that fleshy stuff that surrounds our glowing personalities... :)

[re: BN rising up like Lazarus]

> i wonder which deity is in charge for cases like this ?
> saint RMS ?

I doubt even Saint Richard could raise the dead. I'd contact Bill Gates,
he seems to be able to do it with each release of Windows...(!)

Anyway, I sent a cover letter to three of BN's former professors,
perhaps one of them will help us locate the mystery man.

Meanwhile I tried building the sources for MT 1.06b but I hit the wall
with this error:

gcc -Wall -O2 -mpentium -fomit-frame-pointer -c callback.c -o
callback.o
In file included from callback.c:30:
multitrack.h:180: parse error before `pid_play'
multitrack.h:180: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of
`pid_play'
multitrack.h:180: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of
`pid_record'
multitrack.h:180: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
make: *** [callback.o] Error 1

The offending code looks like this:

  #include <unistd.h> /* for pid_t */

  /* Global definitions for tracks */
  extern Track_info *info;
  extern pid_t pid_play, pid_record;
  extern Track *track;
  extern short int *bigbuf;
  extern Buffer_info *bigbuf_info;
  extern Screen screen[nr_tracks];
  extern long track_begin, track_end, track_length;

Can anyone tell me what's happening there ?

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

        http://www.bright.net/~dlphilp/index.html
        http://www.bright.net/~dlphilp/linuxsound/