Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio distribution revisited

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio distribution revisited
From: pdq808_AT_t-online.de
Date: Thu Sep 14 2000 - 15:52:00 EEST

> -- Much work needs to be done on making it easy to hook various apps
> together. For instance there are a bunch of cool soft-synths out
> there, but can you run two of them at once from a single MIDI
> sequencer and record the result into a hard-disk recorder? >

I've been wondering about this, too. It can be done so easily now in
windows (VST instruments) that you start missing this feature in the linux
environment. May be it's time to start thinking about a
ladspa-instruments API. In the mean time something like an audio loop back kernel
module could help. Anybody aware of such a thing?

Routing MIDI to soft synths can be done already. I have had success
using the snd-card-virmidi from ALSA together with the aconnect utility to
hook up the juno6 to the muse sequencer. Connecting more soft synths
should be no problem because virmidi provides 4 virtual ports which can all
be connected to the same sender.

Regards, Reiner