[linux-audio-dev] Re: [CUD] Csound & ALSA support: a call for assistance

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [CUD] Csound & ALSA support: a call for assistance
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Fri Sep 15 2000 - 03:38:09 EEST

Greetings:

  Markus, I recompiled your latest ALSArtaudio-block.c into unofficial
Csound 4.07.0.1d. I enabled the ALSA driver, OSC support with Tk sliders,
and suid permissions.

  I ran this csd file with mono audio input from a cassette
tape:

<CsoundSynthesizer>

<CsOptions>
; testing the ALSA support for two soundcards
--sched --incard=0 --outcard=1 -Ndm6
</CsOptions>

<CsInstruments>

sr = 44100
kr = 44100
ksmps = 1
nchnls = 1

        instr 1
asig in
aout reverb asig,1
        out aout
        endin

</CsInstruments>

<CsScore>
f1 0 8192 10 1
i1 0 10000
</CsScore>

</CsoundSynthesizer>

The sound was noticeably smoother, the --sched option makes quite a
difference. However, when I added a -b value Csound aborted and
complained 'Capture error: invalid argument'.

A low-latency kernel would make it sound even better...

Thanks for doing this work, Markus. Hopefully the experience will come in
handy when the ALSA API changes again... ;)

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

        http://www.bright.net/~dlphilp/index.html
        http://www.bright.net/~dlphilp/linuxsound/