[linux-audio-dev] What about debian tasks? [was: Audio distribution revisited]

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] What about debian tasks? [was: Audio distribution revisited]
From: Frank Barknecht (barknech_AT_ph-cip.uni-koeln.de)
Date: Fri Sep 15 2000 - 11:54:34 EEST

John Littler hat gesagt: // John Littler wrote:

> Paul Winkler <slinkp23_AT_yahoo.com> writes:
> >
> > Now then, John Littler said:
> > > I'm still working on m-station's [ distribution ] and with some
> > > volunteers it's coming along.
> >
> > I'm curious to hear what specifically is planned for this.
> > Didn't see anything about it at your website, did I miss it?
> > Or is it not being publically discussed?
> >
> there's a link down the bottom of the front page to the
> sourceforge site ... www.m-station.cx or m-station.sourceforge.net
> There's a FAQ there but in fact it needs updating as the
> initial conception of a simple, working toolset is being
> expanded to include a larger bundle of stuff including
> lots of libraries that no-one wants to download.
> Further to that the first stage will be the release of an
> apps CD with installation scripts etc and that will be
> followed by the whole thing.

I wonder if anyone ever thought of an audio distribution based on Debian.
Debian has this IMHO wonderful concept of "tasks". These are collections of
smaller software packages that can be installed in one step. E.g. there is
an X-task, that installs all needed packages for a running X-Windows
including window manager, xterms and stuff.

I imagine a kind of audio-workstation-task, that would take the existing
debian packages for sound apps and libs, put them in a debian task and let
the user install these in one step. In the beginning, it wouldn't even be
necessary to get involved into the main debian distribution as we could set
up an ftp/http server, that the debian user could add to the configuration
of their software installation tool "apt-get". An example for this is the
way Corel handels their own, debian based linux distribution.

Unfortunatly there aren't that many sound apps already included in debian.
As a debian user, I always try to make my own debian packages of rpm- and
src-distributed software. So I have quite a collection of working
debianized software (e.g. soundtracker) and I am happy if people like the
GDAM folks include the debian specific files in their source packages (like
those GDAM folks, thank you).

But often converting software to debian is above my head and fails,
if it's a big software package like pbd's quasimodo and its children
(libpdb...)

bye,

--
                                                 __    __