[linux-audio-dev] soundfonts and csound

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] soundfonts and csound
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Sun Sep 17 2000 - 20:17:11 EEST

Greetings:

  This message is directed to Josh Green, but may be of interest to other
LAD members.

  Josh, here's an example csd file to activate a soundfont via Csound:

<CsoundSynthesizer>

<CsOptions>
-o devaudio -M/dev/midi -dm6
</CsOptions>

<CsInstruments>

        sr=44100
        kr=4410
        ksmps=10
        nchnls=1

gifilhandle sfload "/home/dlphilp/soundfiles/sfonts/8mbgmsfx.sf2"

        instr 1
ivel veloc
inotnum notnum
iamp ampmidi 1
ifreq cpsmidi
ipatch = 1
a1 sfinstr3m ivel, inotnum, iamp, ifreq, ipatch, gifilhandle, 1
kenv linenr 1,.007,.11,.01
        out a1*kenv
        endin

</CsInstruments>

<CsScore>
f0 10000
</CsScore>

</CsoundSynthesizer>

Run this file with 'csound sfont.csd' and you should be able to play it
with your external MIDI keyboard. Btw, substituting inotnum or ivel for
ipatch is great fun...

The soundfont indicated in that file is from the SBLive CD. Note that the
performance will fail if run with a soundfont using ROM samples. Also note
that I haven't tried any modulation of the soundfont patches.

Anyway, the Maldonado code is a working SoundFont playback engine for
Csound. It would be very interesting to see it incorporated into Smurf.

Finally, note that I'm using the unofficial Linux Csound 4.07.0.1d.

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

        http://www.bright.net/~dlphilp/index.html
        http://www.bright.net/~dlphilp/linuxsound/