Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux support for IEEE1394 mLAN?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux support for IEEE1394 mLAN?
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Thu Sep 21 2000 - 18:01:14 EEST

>mLAN support would give linux a real head start in pro audio as
>it would remove the need for support for 101 different wacky multi-channel
>soundcards, as you just use a generic 1394 card.

i'd love to see mLAN support for linux, but i can't fully agree with
this last statement. i don't know of any part of mLAN that would allow
for anything like RME's "Zero Latency Monitoring", for example (where
the h/w short circuits the input and output connectors).

and besides, we'll end up having to support 101 diffferent wacky 1394
cards :)

                                                  Also, the possibility of
>making a cheap harddisc recorder from a rack-mounted linux box with a
>1394 card in it is... interesting.

assuming that a 1394 card costs less than a Hammerfall or Envy1712
based card, yes, it is interesting. but i don't know for sure if thats
going to be true. a 1394 card is so generic and thus so powerful, i
wouldn't be suprised if they cost more, at least for a while.

--p