Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux support for IEEE1394 mLAN?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux support for IEEE1394 mLAN?
From: Tom Pincince (stillone_AT_snowcrest.net)
Date: Thu Sep 21 2000 - 23:48:29 EEST

Something is definitely in the air. Just yesterday I was surfing 1394
and ended up at yamaha's mLAN page. It seemed important at the time,
and now this conversation confirms it.

>Cool. How long can the cables be? And do you know a source
>where I can look at cable pricing?

I vaguely remember seeing 4.5 m as being the maximum, but I also saw a
project that increased this to 70 m by converting to fiber optic. I did
two searches through alta vista, one using 1394 linux and the other
using 1394 audio, with the latter producing more interesting leads up
front but I didn't bookmark anything.

The thing that sparked my interest in this is that I am considering
starting a project to design a multi-channel floating point a/d
converter, and was contemplating the digital interface. I also read in
Sound On Sound that Apple is releasing a fanless G4 (external power
supply) with no pci slots at a discount price. Firewire and usb are the
only ways to get into this box.

Regarding the float a/d, I originally thought of it only in terms of
potentially superior sound quality by making the input passive,
providing impedance matching only and eliminating the need for mic
preamps, and moving the amplification to the digital side of the s/h
where the signal is dc and not reactive. I later realized that if I
amplified the signal by a factor of 2 and did this multiple times until
the signal became > = a reference voltage, that by counting the number
of times the signal was amplified I would have the exponent of a
normalized signal. This would give all signals, large and small, 24
bits of precision. I remembered discussions here that referred to the
desirability of float for dsp. If the a/d and d/a can be done in float
then the entire digital domain can be float, if all one would wish to do
digitally can be accomplished in float. Is this desirable? Please
reply because your answers will weigh greatly in my decision to pursue
this or not.

Tom