Re: [linux-audio-dev] Cheap 1394 cards

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Cheap 1394 cards
From: Iain Sandoe (iain_AT_sandoe.co.uk)
Date: Fri Sep 22 2000 - 16:05:40 EEST

On Fri, Sep 22, 2000, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 22, 2000 at 01:08:02PM +0100, Iain Sandoe wrote:

[...]
>> all - firewire comes built-in ;-)
>
> I think my girlfriend would notice a shiny new G4, a PCI card I can get
> away with though ;)

:-) Hmmmmmmmm (you need practice at hiding the computer ;-))) [It's only 8"
cubed ]... Orange Micro do a combined USB/FireWire PCI card for Mac & PC -
but its about 185 GBP.... don't know about Linux Driver either (but you
could always take PBD up on his offer ;-)

> Iain: I guess you've given up on Korg producing details of the 1212 too.

Not given up... but can't afford to wait (I'm running on a Sonorus at the
moment, waiting for the PPC-friendly Hammerfall to be available).

Besides trying to include umpteen different new PPC models (even with OSS
drivers) is proving interesting...

> Once Yamaha bring out mLAN cards for my 01v, I'll probably switch to
> mLAN, should be able to use it in NT too, with a following wind.

An interface spec at protocol level is less work that at hardware level...

FireWire is not fundamentally different from TOS in what it achieves
conceptually (OK so a bit faster, more channels etc.)

*but* having inter-changability at the next level up is dammed attractive in
a situation where you don't want to scare the end user with .configs and
device drivers ;-)

Iain.