Re: [linux-audio-dev] discussion about development overlap

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] discussion about development overlap
From: David Benson (daveb_AT_idealab.com)
Date: Tue Sep 26 2000 - 21:33:28 EEST

> Audio servers are another issue. One thing that I find curious is that
> aRts still hasn't gained much support outside the KDE world. Why is this?
> Looking at the other canditates, esd is still dead, X-audioserver list has
> been silent for a while now, ALSA people are busy with 0.6.x release,
> Benno is busy with EVO (any other people working on the totally
> plugin-based, hard-rt-capable approach)...

fwiw, GDAM is principally in this category.
(We just happen to ship a very large and complex client --
we also distribute two command-line-only clients...)

it *is* quite useful for debugging as we can write
tests that go through a simple commandline interface,
eg to test a LADSPA plugin:

gdam-cli% source mp3 GdamMp3 filename /bfd/Eligh/As_They_Pass/01-Begintro.mp3
gdam-cli% source lad GdamLadspaPlugin
gdam-cli% call $lad set_plugin filename filter index 0
gdam-cli% set $lad filtered $mp3
gdam-cli% add $lad

And it's useful for debugging the clients since the server
can keep a log in a similar format.

The only potential drawback is latency over the unix-domain
socket (or net if you're using it that way); for stability, debugging
and devlopment it's quite convenient.

It's generally my feeling that the "ultimate sound app" probably
needs to be written in a client/server manner; esound is too simple.
aRTS may be nice but
  - i don't care for c++
  - it uses floats everywhere -- for very simple uses,
    this is a drawback for sure
  - it wasn't around when we started (2 yrs ago)

- Dave