[linux-audio-dev] What I want, to stop using Windows

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] What I want, to stop using Windows
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Sep 27 2000 - 14:28:10 EEST

I would love to stop using Windows at hoe for music, but there are some
things I want to replace:

1. Multichannel soundcard - I have a Korg 1212, but this only works in 9x,
   mLAN would do for this but I suspect its a way off yet. It only needs
   to talk to my Yam 01v, I don't care about direct analogue. 2 coax
   SPDIF and one ADAT i/o would be perfect.

2. An impluse convolver (is that the right term?) to replace Sonic Foundry's
   Acoustic mirror, preferably file compatible.

3. A sample editor like soundforge.

4. A multitracker like Vegas, the dumber the better, but plugins would be
   nice. On the subject, is the any possibilty of getting VST or active X
   plugins working under linux? Without the (pointless) pretty interfaces?

5. Some primative MIDI sequencing stuff (as part of 4 would be fine)

6. Control software for my Nord Mod (think this more or less works in
   Wine, but havn't tried for a while). I used to have a second PC with a
   fast ISA MIDI card just for this, but my girlfriend nicked it to
   wordprocess on (poor thing). 2 PCs sucks anyway, too much fan noise.

7. A USB MIDI box (run out of slots) that is fast enough to talk to a Mod
   without karking.

9. Control software for an AKAI S[23]000 sampler.

So, any notes on how optimistic I'm being?

- Steve

--
Stephen Harris
MALIBU Technical Officer & JoDI Webmaster