Re: [linux-audio-dev] Reverbs... and the usual whinings

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Reverbs... and the usual whinings
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: Wed Sep 27 2000 - 18:49:52 EEST

>From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?J=F6rn?= Nettingsmeier
> <nettings_AT_folkwang.uni-essen.de>
>
>why this demoralizing undertone ? :)
>we do have recorders, all i can say is that even arecord works for
>me if i adhere to some simple don't-do-that rules.

At the last time I also got dropouts while doing nothing. I tried to
do nothing after getting first dropouts. I have a slow machine (P90)
and 3 years old IDE disk. In the good light, the situation is now
much better than with older Linux I had: I could not record at all.

>granted, it would be nice if things got more robust, but unless we
>can determine under which circumstances and loads the dropouts
>occur, we can work around them. so what ?

I had only Emacs and a couple of Xtrems running but I didn't do
anything. I was freezed and hoped that no droputs will occur.

I think I just don't have an optimal computer for recording with arecord.
It cannot be fixed without kernel changes, I think.

 -*-

So, beinging very motivated I finally updated my shmrec to alsashmrec.
The shmrec was a two process recorder which made my older Linux quite
reliable in recording. But I had to stop using it in the current Linux
because the OSS failed for some reason. Now it is using Alsa and worked
okay during two "cat file | grep fsgshdhdh > file2" commands. Only then
I got wild dropoits when Acroread started to render the text. All this
with user scheduled processes. I'm happy.
(Mail me if you want a copy.)

I have progressed with the soft-RT based recorder too but I yet
have to really thing the algorithm because I want the recorder to be
able to save also the 10 previous seconds when I press the record button.
Please mail me if you want to see the unedited plans and all I have now.
Basically the recorder engine is working a server from root account,
but all other programs are running from user's account.

Regards,

Juhana