Re: [linux-audio-dev] What I want, to stop using Windows

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] What I want, to stop using Windows
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: Wed Sep 27 2000 - 19:19:58 EEST

>From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
>
>2. An impluse convolver (is that the right term?) to replace Sonic Foundry's
> Acoustic mirror, preferably file compatible.

If you have its manual on-line, please mail it to me for looking at the
thing. Or if you have time, please search info about the impulse response
format. And I don't mean a file format, but something else: are the responses
impulse responses to unit sample or to a square pulse.

This seems to be no trivial because Arboretum guys seems to be compared
unit sample responses to square pulse responses in their quite poor
and biased test (at their homepage somewhere: www.arboretum.com).
They used SEKD's two example samples found from SEKD's ftp site.

I would like to know if the square pulse is the standard way to do impulses
for Acoustic Mirror software. What would be the correct way to turn them
to unit sample responses? Or is that needed at all?

>6. Control software for my Nord Mod (think this more or less works in
> Wine, but havn't tried for a while). I used to have a second PC with a
> fast ISA MIDI card just for this, but my girlfriend nicked it to
> wordprocess on (poor thing). 2 PCs sucks anyway, too much fan noise.

I have tried music-dsp people to get interested in to design a DSP box
which would be useful for multiple things:
 -standalone synth,
 -effect box,
 -mp3 player (with hard disk),
 -HiFi recorder (with hard disk),
 -MIDI controller
 -portable recorder (with batteries)

That would be worth of its price. For example, a DAT recorder
would be great as a portable recorder and HiFi recorder, but
besides that you cannot do anything with it (and DAT tapes costs
vs. encoding recordings to mp3s on CD-ROM).

I would fine use for quiet testbed for my reverberation and acoustics
experiments. I could buy some acoustics box for computer but the box
cannot do anything else.

And so on... Hopefully somebody will manufacture such DSP boxes someday.

Regards,

Juhana