Re: [linux-audio-dev] discussion about development overlap

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] discussion about development overlap
From: Conrad Parker (conradp_AT_cse.unsw.EDU.AU)
Date: Thu Sep 28 2000 - 01:06:07 EEST

On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 11:02:12PM +0300, Kai Vehmanen wrote:
> I want people to able to install a typical
> Linux distro, and then install ecasound from an rpm. I admit this stricts
> code reuse in many ways (all 3rd party modules like ALSA, aRts,
> libaudiofile, etc have to be dynamically loaded, etc), but this approach
> is undoubtly more userfriendly.

eek. You realise you're going to need to duplicate the functionality
of ld.so, and you're limiting yourself to environments with sane
dynamic loading (ok if you assume Linux I guess).

In any case those libraries have to be around anyway -- you don't
buy anything by simply making ecasound.rpm not depend on them,
they'll still need to exist on the box for ecasound to run. If you
intend to ship them along with ecasound, you'll find yourself
playing package maintainer games.

In any case the hassle of installing dependencies vanishes when
people use apt based distributions (such as debian, and RPM based
ones when Connectiva have finished porting apt to RPM). In that
case a user simply types:

        apt-get install ecasound

(or does the equivalent operation in a GUI package manager)
and all the libraries required, along with ecasound itself, get
installed and configured correctly for use. (This already works
fully for your debian users, if ecasound is in debian).

Side note -- hackers, get to know your debian maintainers. They're
*really useful* to talk to about issues like this (how to handle
shared libraries, how+where to install stuff, how to set up build
environments, etc).

Conrad.