Re: [linux-audio-dev] discussion about development overlap

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] discussion about development overlap
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Thu Sep 28 2000 - 01:13:13 EEST

>Where do you think I got my ideas? ;) Seriously, I've gone through the
>libmidi++ source-tree. I won't be able to use it directly, because it's so
>closely tied to libsigc++. I want people to able to install a typical
>Linux distro, and then install ecasound from an rpm. I admit this stricts

if they have Gtk-- 1.2 or above (and i believe that most linux distros
currently include this), then they have libsigc++.

the bigger problem is that it also relies on libpbd, which is not, to
the best of my knowledge, included in any distro :)

>Hmm, I'm afraid that ecawave won't be an answer to this problem. I guess
>this is a good example of how different people need different things
>from audio editors. Hmm, let's see, here are the typical editor types:
>
>1. Simple memory-only sample editors.
>- mainly useful for editing invidual samples used in sequencers and
> samplers
>2. Direct-to-disk editors processing large files
>- this is where ecawave is aimed at; it's the right tool, when you
> have just recorded a track, and want to do some basic editing
> (fade ins/out, cut&copy&paste, and of course, lots of effects),
> and want a simple-and-stupid user-interface

ok, but just add the 2 requirements that the editing be non-destructive
and that the files are large enough that simply writing copies of the
file for every edit is impractical, and voila, even this design space
needs an EDL system. or am i missing something ?

>Hmm, that's true, but isn't it in fact so, that for us interested in
>making music (ie. not desktop-sounds), plain multiplexing is definititely
>not enough. I'll go back to my old example - using ecasound as an fx-box
>for soundtracker. I managed to do this with ALSA 0.4.x loopback, but I
>can't do it with esd, nor with any of the dspproxies, or other
>dsp-wrapping based multiplexers.

an excellent point.

>Let's take another example: I've recorded a few tracks with ardour, and
>now I'd like record a synth track using EVO. How to do this? One solution
>would be to use MIDI-MTC to syncronise the apps, and add disk-output
>routines to EVO. I haven't tested this, but doesn't sound optimal to me.
>With a sound server, you'd just need soundserver-output routines in EVO,
>and that's all. You start the playback in ardour, and you can use EVO as
>usual!

right, this is the "audio ALSA sequencer" thing, AKA "audio routing in
MidiShare". Please note that MidiShare can do all this stuff, at least
the development version, though I don't know what the latency issues
are.

--p