Re: [linux-audio-dev] discussion about development overlap

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] discussion about development overlap
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Thu Sep 28 2000 - 21:47:40 EEST

On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:

>>2. Direct-to-disk editors processing large files
>>- this is where ecawave is aimed at; it's the right tool, when you
>> have just recorded a track, and want to do some basic editing
> ok, but just add the 2 requirements that the editing be non-destructive
> and that the files are large enough that simply writing copies of the
> file for every edit is impractical, and voila, even this design space
> needs an EDL system. or am i missing something ?

Ok, I admit that you can easily get into trouble with disk i/o issues, but
at least now, things have worked quite well without EDL.

By default editing ecawave in is in fact non-destructive (it also has a
direct mode). When you do the first editing operation, ecawave creates a
temp file for editing. The temp file is opened in read/write -mode, so all
following edits are done in-place. So in normal use, there aren't that
many moments where you have to wait for disk i/o to complete.

Things get problematic, when you need to move material around, relocate
parts, etc... actions which make editing in-place impossible. But these
usually come up only in audio sequencing, and that is something that
ecawave isn't aimed at, at the moment anyways. When you are editing one
track of a song, independently of the context, you don't really want move
its material around (ie. relocating a guitar solo, without hearing the
drums).

 . http://www.eca.cx/aivastus ... [ aivastus net radio ] /\ .