Re: [linux-audio-dev] audio-disk thread interaction Was: Re: discussion about development overlap

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] audio-disk thread interaction Was: Re: discussion about development overlap
From: Richard A. Smith (rsmith_AT_bitworks.com)
Date: Fri Sep 29 2000 - 17:29:55 EEST

On Fri, 29 Sep 2000 13:09:25 +0200, Benno Senoner wrote:

>But as said in my other mail, I will leave both possiblities in the
>plugin scheduler model:
>running all disk threads within one single thread
>or running N separate threads.
>So everyone is free to choose the method which works best for him.

Flexability is definitely the key here. What works best now probally won't in 6-8 months
when some portion of the kernel gets overhauled to remove the next IO bottleneck or to
include some new feature.

Plus what about systems that are RAIDed and or High-end SCSI systems with advanced hardware
cache controllers? Seems to me that the multi-threaded model would really shine on those
systems since you can actually process mutiple writes at once.

Has anyone done any testing on a simple RAID machine?

If not then I volunteer... thats been on my list of things to try for a while now. And I now
I finally have a machine with some extra drives to use.

--
Richard A. Smith                         Bitworks, Inc.
rsmith_AT_bitworks.com               501.846.5777