Re: [linux-audio-dev] discussion about development overlap

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] discussion about development overlap
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: Fri Sep 29 2000 - 17:58:24 EEST

>From: Kai Vehmanen <kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi>
>> of course). so if there's a chance that ecawave will have the kind of
>> clean design that will permit full use of EDL's, i would welcome that
>
>Hmm, I'm afraid that ecawave won't be an answer to this problem. I guess
>this is a good example of how different people need different things
>from audio editors. Hmm, let's see, here are the typical editor types:

Kai, you asked how you should proceed with Ecawave. I suggest to write
a few generally useful objects/modules needed also in other editors.
Examples:
 -The mentioned edit decision list -- some standard way to represent the EDL,
  some routines for modifying the EDL
 -Routines for generating waveform overviews as fast as possible --- some
  standard way to represent the overviews
 -Routines for drawing the waveform --- when necessary, the overview data
  is used
 -Audiofile manager (so that different editors can use each other's
  temporary files and overview files, etc.)
 -Any other common file formats: how to represent curves, marks, etc.

All these should be isolated objects having no dependancies to the actual
editor. And hey, I'm here ready for a team work.

Recards,

Juhana