Re: [linux-audio-dev] discussion about development overlap

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] discussion about development overlap
From: Frank Neumann (franky_AT_viona.de)
Date: Fri Sep 29 2000 - 19:25:50 EEST

Hi,
Juhana wrote:

> Kai, you asked how you should proceed with Ecawave. I suggest to write
> a few generally useful objects/modules needed also in other editors.
> Examples:
> -The mentioned edit decision list -- some standard way to represent the EDL,
> some routines for modifying the EDL
> -Routines for generating waveform overviews as fast as possible --- some
> standard way to represent the overviews

I remember that either CoolEdit or Soundforge use so-called "peak files"
(extension .pk) that get created the first time you load a file; of course
they are also updated when the file changes. I guess they store some kind of
"averaged peak values" from certain points within the file. Their intial
creation might take a while, but after that they make finding important
points (silence, drum phrases, overdriven areas) easy.

> -Routines for drawing the waveform --- when necessary, the overview data
> is used

There is enough free software out there which should show good ways to draw
waveforms; e.g. snd (5 different display methods, and intelligent redraw
depending on zoom depth; I like that feature a lot) or sweep
(http://sweep.sourceforge.net), though the latter is not very usable yet.

Just my $0,02,
Frank