Re: [linux-audio-dev] cdr: the latest screenshot from Linux Audio Systems

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] cdr: the latest screenshot from Linux Audio Systems
From: Ellis Breen (ellisbreen_AT_bigfoot.com)
Date: Sat Sep 30 2000 - 04:07:20 EEST

> Those people who want to be able to use their CD-R(W) drives like the
> latest generation of "professional" CD recorders from, say, Tascam or
> Alesis, might be pretty interested. It does real-time (i.e. 1x speed)
> audio recording from an ALSA-supported audio interface directly to a
> CD-R or CD-RW. cdrecord is currently used as the underlying recording
> technology.
Wow... Gigasampler compatibility and a direct to CD-RW recorder for
Linux announced in the space of a few hours... I'm stoked.

Does this system do multichannel recording? It would be fun to see what kind
of performance you could get on the upcoming 16x16x32 CDRWs from Yamaha...
Would someone have to create some kind of interleaving file system (CD based
or embedded
within a file) for that? You could even incorporate some
gracefully-degrading
audio compression algorithm (MPEG-4 rings a bell) to increase the track
playback count
(the given read speed specs of CDs always being overinflated). Put a
micro-linux install
on a Flash card and you could make a very smart mobile recording system with
unprecedented performance.

I just got thinking hard about this. Is there a gracefully-degrading audio
compression
algorithm which offers lossless compression below a given complexity
threshold?
(A kind of 'soft-knee' compression but of the entropy kind?) What is the
computational
complexity hit of such an algorithm over lossy compression? Maybe this
question is more applicable to video considering our how close available
storage
and bandwidth is to saturating audio requirements but this all links
in to describing sounds so I'm interested.